My guest on Upshot today is Crystal Gauvin, a professional compound archer who burst onto the scene with a breakout win at the 2013 Indoor World Cup event in Marrakesh, Morroco. Since then Crystal has continued to compete at a high level across the U.S. and around the world finishing second at the final stage of the Indoor World Cup in Las Vegas and two gold medals in the 2014 Outdoor World Cup season.
Crystal and I talked about how she found her way to archery after a prior athletic career in swimming and mountain biking. We also chatted about her experience getting started as a professional and her training regimen and preparation for competitions. And most shockingly, I learned the secret to maintaining proper focus during tournaments.
- Hall's Arrow, the archery range in Manchester, CT where Crystal trains.
- Olympic gold medalist Butch Johnson is the Pro Shop Manager at Hall's Arrow.
- Crystal vs. Erika Jones in the gold medal match at the final stage of the 2013 Indoor World Cup in Las Vegas.
- Crystal winning gold in mixed team (with Braden Gellenthien) and gold in women's team (with Erika Jones and Christie Colin) at the 2014 Outdoor World Cup event in Wrocław, Poland.
- Crystal's web site and YouTube channel
- With Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham
- The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Gallwey